Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I think it's time I came clean with a dirty little secret.  Well, actually it's a clean little secret.  It's time I clean up my act, wash my hands of my addiction so to speak.  If feels good to cleanse my soul; however, I don't mean to goat...I mean gloat.  What's my secret addiction?  Goat milk soap.  Yes, I have been a user for about 5 years now.  I came upon it quite by accident.  You might say I was lured into trying it.  My mother-in-law gave me a bar for my birthday one year.  Up until that time I had always used one particular brand of soap and was not ready for a change.  I have sensitive skin and break out easily with some soaps and detergents. 

 I kept the cute little tan bar of soap, shaped like a cinnamon roll wrapped in it's little brown netting and tied with a raffia bow, setting on my towel shelf for several months.  I gave it a glance every now and then and maybe even picked it up to smell the cocoa butter scent, but use it...No way!  I didn't like goat cheese so why in the world would I want to wash my face with goat milk soap?  Well a day came when I was out of my regular soap and I was going to take a bath.  What to do?  I didn't want to use the manly soap that belonged to my husband and then there it was, still in it's place there on my towel shelf.  Grrrr, I thought.  Well, it will just be this one time and hopefully I won't break out in hives or anything so I gently unwrapped the little netting package and really gave the soap a good look.  It was just adorable and I could imagine the local maker lovingly pouring the mixture into the little cinnamon roll mold and then wrapping it when it solidified with a smile on his/her face for a job well done.

It only took that one time and I was hooked.  I would not use anything else but goat milk soap from then on.  I found a local shop that carried the soap and bought a new bar before I ran out.  One day the shop announced it was going out of business and I panicked.  I wasn't sure if I could purchase it online and I had to have my fix.  I bought about 10 bars when the store had marked them down to 70% off.  My own little stock pile of cocoa butter, shea butter and oatmeal goat milk soap.  I had my stash, (insert evil laugh)!  I noticed another friend of mine had bought a supply for her shop and I was glad to know where I could get my next goat soap fix.

 I have recently found another locally made goat milk soap and I love it too.  This one is lemongrass and it smells heavenly.  Goat milk soap is very good for the skin.  The lady who makes it says her soaps have olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, shea butter, avocado butter, and some other ingredients, lye, goat milk, and essential oils.My skin doesn't break out and it is soft and supple.  I used to sometimes get dry patches on the backs of my arms in the winter, but not anymore.  It does burn if it gets in your eyes, but hopefully you won't do that.  I sometimes dream of raising goats and making soap.  I even developed a taste for goat cheese.  I love to use anything healthy and also support local farmers and businesses.  


I'm including pictures of two of my favorite goat milk soaps.  I think I clean up pretty good.  I'm afraid I will have to be on a maintenance dose of goat milk soap from now on though.  Disclaimer...I will also use Soap Nuts soap.  They are natural organic ingredients and can be used for detergent too.  

www.greenvirginproducts.com 

 



 

goatgirlgazette.wordpress.com
The soaps above are made by the Maynard Family.  
.  










No comments:

Post a Comment